5 American women survive 1st round
August 28, 2012 | 09:53 PM
Could a doubles upset be the top US Open story of the first two days?
Yes, in New York - when the upset is engineered by two young Americans - and when the biggest upset in singles so far is last year's #1 woman seed being taken down by knee pain and an unknown Romanian, Irina Begu, ranked 96, defeated #8 Wozniacki, 6-2, 6-2).
NCAA singles 2011 and 2012 singles champion Steve Johnson partnered with Jack Sock (19) came back to startle #1 seeds Daniel Nestor and Max Mirnyi, 1-6, 7-6(4), 6-2. They are now in a quarter with 6th seeds Granollers and Lopez, and could meet Blake and Querrey in the 3rd round.
In singles, US headlines were made again by Jack Sock for upsetting #22 seed Florian Mayer 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 yesterday, as well as by Sloane Stephens, who upset #22 Schiavone 6-3, 6-4.
The other high seed eliminated, #10 Juan Monaco, clears a bracket of seeded trouble for Andy Roddick (in Joker's quarter), though Bernie Tomic in the 2nd round will present a challenge.
Other favorites needing 5 sets to progress included:
- Dolgopolov came back from 0-2 to beat American Jessie Levine 6-2 in the 5th after being down 2 sets and 0-4, a point away from 0-5
- Baghdatis took his 5th set 7-6 (5) and will face the #14 Dogman
- unseeded Mathieu won 6-1 in the 5th to advance against another 5 set survivor, #15 seed Raonic
- #12 seed Cilic
- Petzschner won 7-6 (3) in the 5th over Mahut
Of 14 MEN who've played in the first two two days, 7 advanced, two over other Americans. Winners included:
- #20 RODDICK won in 3 over American Rhyne Williams and now faces Tomic
- #23 FISH won in 3 sets and faces Davydenko
- #27 QUERREY defeated Lu in 4 sets and faces Hidalgo
- James Blake def. Lacko in 4 sets, and faces #24 Granollers
- Jack Sock def #22 Mayer and faces Cipolla
- Tim Smyczek def. American Bobby Reynolds and faces #17 Nishikori
- Dennis Novikov, the U18 champion, won in 4 sets and faces #31 seed Julien Benneteau
Other US men losing were Jessie Levine (who was up 2 sets and 4-0, with a game point for 5-0), Michael Russell, Robby Ginepri, Donald Young (to Fed), and Denis Kudla.
Six more US men will be featured tomorrow, including:
- #9 seed ISNER plays Xavier Malisse
- Steve Johnson and Rajeev Ram play
- Brian Baker
- Bradley Klahn plays Jurgen Melzer
- Ryan b plays Benjamin Becker
The 15 American WOMEN produced only 5 winners, two of whom were Williams. Beside Sloane Stephens, Varvara Lepchenko and qualifier Mallory Burdette joined the sisters in the 2nd round. Most disappointing was the loss of #21 seed Christina McHale 3-6 in the 3rd to Kiki Bertens.
US Open 1st Rounds, 8.28.12